Department of Computer Science was established under the Faculty of Natural Sciences in 2002. In the same year, the department launched an extension diploma program in Computer Science and BSC degree regular program in Computer Science. This was later expanded to a BSC degree extension program in 2004 in Computer Science. The Department uses four computer laboratories each with a capacity of thirty-five computers fully connected to the Internet. These laboratories are used to conduct practical works for the BSc degree program.
The growing number of higher education institutions, as well as the scarcity of highly qualified computer professionals in various sectors of the economy, necessitated the introduction of the MSC degree program in the 2010/2011 academic year. The Department has one laboratory with 25 computers dedicated to MSc program students.
So far, the department has graduated over 1000 BSc students and approximately 200 MSc students. Currently, the department is home to over 600 students.